Friday, October 30, 2009

Moving Day



My house molting onto the huge pile of trash from unpacking.



The really huge box is the piano being uncrated.




The good the bad and the ugly of it all. So yesterday was a very, very long stressful and exhausting day but its over! Yes, that is a picture of my grandmothers antique etched crystal bowl in pieces on the ground am I happy, not so much. So far they also broke my entertainment center, and my hundred year old wall china holder. That and we have 225 boxes to unpack left. Yes, that's right 225! So the joys of paperwork are in my future because I will be claiming my stuff! Did they really have to break the things I like? Seriously I could have given them a long list of things to lose or break. Like 3 tough boxes full of military crude, stuff like that. But, no. I'm afraid there is a lot more broken crystal in my future since I have or had quite the collection. I had to assign everything a value. How do you assign a 70 year old crystal bowl that used to sit on your grandmothers coffee table a value? It's irreplaceable and now I have one less daily reminder of the woman whom I adored. So it makes me sad. BUT we are in and they had to bring my sofa in through the french door/windows in the master bedroom on the second floor. Exciting stuff! So yesterday I remembered why I hate stairs so much. I have a four story house, yes four if you include the cellar and since the cellar is my pantry and the deep freeze is down there it is most definitely a floor.I have bad knees and ankles so this should be fun for the next 3 years. Oh, and we have death by stairs as well. Our house was built 120 years ago by people who thought steep was better and obviously didn't have small children or had ever been pregnant. That and closets. Oh, how I miss them!German think closets are a waste of space. I just think they are all dumb. I miss my 10x9 master closet so much already! Yes, my closet in Houston is the size of a small bedroom and I miss it! So for the next house I am going to look until I find exactly what I want.I didn't have the luxury of doing so this time since we were stuck in the hotel. Where as I really do like the house and it has plenty of space which is saying something for German houses, I hate the "kitchen" you'll see why I will take pictures.It a collection of random cabinets and I made her buy more as well and guess what they DONT MATCH, arg! She told me they would age to match. Um, birch does not age to look like Oak lady. Everything else is oak. You bought birch. I of course did not tell her that but I really wanted to!I know I'm whinny and should just be grateful for my home and I am but I'm gonna whine anyway so can someone please pass me the cheese.

2 comments:

Blarney Girl said...

In Ireland homes don't have closets because the gov't taxes your house based on it's size and how many rooms it has. Maybe it's similar in Deutschland??

Sorry to hear about all the breakage! It's Murphy's Law! Did the movers unpack your stuff as well? I'm just wondering why the bowl was out of it's box already when the movers were still bringing stuff in.

Shelly Turpin said...

oh - sorry babe. Moving stinks. That's probably why I will die in this house. :) Not because I love it, but because I hate to move.