
This is my 100th post. So an appropriate topic.
I am today and everyday grateful for the sacrifice of those who have gone before us and served their country in the best way that they knew how. It is a very real day to me as I personally have wondered if my husband would come home from war, if I would be a young widow or a single mother like my grandmother was. My Grandma Leona Fae( Hence Aurora Faye) Pitt Ball died almost 3 years ago.But before she died we became even closer as she tried to relieve some of my pain over Ben being in Iraq and being a young war bride. She commiserated with me and we developed a new bond during the time right before she died. My Grandma became a young war widow and was left with an 18 month old son (my Dad) to raise alone. He became her world. Robert Glenn Ball was the love of her life, she mourned him till she herself died 55 years later. Some moments really are enough to last a lifetime.
Today, I remember my Grandpa who died in the Korean war and served in WWII as well. Ben I am so proud of you and how seriously you take and keep your commitments and how you served honorably in Iraq. David my father in law who has served in the military for 20 years, I also remember my other Grandpa's as well as both of Ben's who served in WWII. Thank you Dallas, Nathan, David, Joey, Joe and all the modern day heroes we have who have fought and still fight to keep our country free from tyranny.
I look beyond the obvious people who parades are thrown for today. To every man, woman and child who has ever watched their loved one go off to serve their country and wondered if they would come home, I salute you. You have my respect and my thanks for supporting these men and women who keep us safe they could not do their jobs without you. I haven't decided which job is harder those who get to go and do or those who sit, pray and wait for the next letter, email or phone call from their loved ones. Ben and I developed a habit of saying I love you no matter what. It doesn't matter what was said in the conversation you never know if that's the last time your going to talk to them. If that happened we both want the other person to always know that they are loved. So today I remember the worst year of my life, when Ben was deployed and am grateful for the lessons I learned and how they have shaped who I am and how I deal with trials. I am thankful God is so forgiving and understood how very hurt and mad I was at him and that he simply forgave me.
So to all the unsung Heroes, Thank You today and everyday.To all of you thank you for supporting me through the last 4 years and 3 months as I have had to deal with the reality of living with the constant absence of my husband. I am so incredibly thankful that this part of our journey is almost over, and that we get to move on from here as a united family. I am grateful though for the journey, and for the incredible amount of respect I now have for those in the Armed Forces and their families. We have had an incredible amount of trials thrown our way but we have been immeasurably blessed in so many different ways. We have come out so much stronger.
Happy Memorial Day, remembering is always a good thing. It helps us remember where we have been and where we can go from here.
No comments:
Post a Comment